Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Preparing for Paraguay: What we are leaving behind

Family, friends, a home; these are the things we (as a family) hold dear.  Our extended family has recently become much closer (we were always close as a family, now we are more of a tight knit clan) after the loss of several family members a few years ago.  We have become firmly entrenched in the life and laughter of our church.  I have had the same best friend since I was 8 and we have never lived more than 15 miles away from each other.  The kids have made friends at our Homeschool co-op and through scouts.  In some ways, the hardship of leaving these people is the hardest and easiest task ahead of us.
It is hard because they are woven into the fabric of our lives.  These are the people we see every day or week, at least.  Weekend visits to Nanny and Papa (a routine part of our lives for years) will be no more.  The Front Porch Greeting in our church, where we go around the sanctuary and check in on each other, will continue on with out us.  Daily calls to my best friend to see how her kids are doing, how school is going, or to chat about our latest projects and passions, will (with any luck) be on temporary hold.  There is something wonderful to be said about relationships that you know will endure, people you know will not fail you.
There is also something cowardly about this life.  Don't get me wrong, I love my life; if I didn't love my life I wouldn't have the confidence to leave it.  However, when I first started considering working as a missionary, I tried desperately to convince myself I would be terribly ungrateful and a malcontent if I didn't simply enjoy the life I had been blessed with.  It actually kind of worked for a while...a battle waged in me; to go or not to go.  It was during this time when I was reminded of scripture; the story of the rich young ruler. 
In case you haven't heard this episode from the life of Jesus I will give you a brief synopsis (in my own words, as I understand it).  There was a wealthy young ruler who asked Jesus how to get into heaven.  Jesus responded that the man should follow the commandments.  The young ruler said he already did this and inquired what more he could do (how often have we all felt like this, like we are following the letter of the law, but somehow not the spirit)?  Jesus told him he could sell all his possessions, give them to the poor, and follow Him.  The young man became very sad and left Jesus.
I am not wealthy by American standards; I live well below the poverty line.  So, to some, it may seem that I am not very comparable to the wealthy young ruler mentioned above.  However, I am wealthy in a lot of ways.  I am wealthy in family, friends, relationships and, more pragmatically, I am wealthy in comfort, ease, entertainment and security. 
It would be easy to stay in my comfortable home, surrounded by the love and warmth of my family and friends.  It would be easy to say I don't have a lot, and it wouldn't be expected of me to give up what I do have.  But God doesn't call us to do what is easy, or convenient, or pragmatic.  We are called to love like crazy, to come follow Jesus (who was also fairly poor in the Roman Empire, who left His home and family and hit the road, who didn't play it safe and stay in His carpenter's workshop building ploughs, tables and chairs).
So, we are leaving comfort and security and the world we know.  We are NOT, however, leaving the love, support, friendships and joy that we currently enjoy.  Instead, we are taking these things with us, and hope to share them whenever and wherever we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment