Friday, December 27, 2013

When...

When we will be leaving for Paraguay has been a bit of a conundrum in and of itself.  At first we thought we might be leaving in September, after the annual conference held in Indianapolis every August.  As it happened, things didn't work out that way.
At the conference we thought January was our new date to ship out.  Not much happens in December, since people are often traveling for the holidays and such.  And I still needed to be processed, to get passports for the kids, to arrange everything, and etc.... so it seemed unlikely we would be able to go any sooner than January.  But, November came and went without our being commissioned...and I started to wonder if January was really feasible either.
Finally, on December 5th I was able to meet with the board in Indianapolis and everything that was meant to be done was done.  It was at this time that I learned the directors of the camp I will be working at are taking a sabbatical in January.  So, as of now, it looks like we will be leaving in March. 
When I first looked into Paraguay one of the differences between US culture and Paraguayan culture that worried me was the idea that time is more fluid.  I have been told that in Paraguay appointments may happen hours after they are scheduled...sometimes friends visit days after they promise to.  I am very much an 'on time or early' kind of person.  However, I have weathered this flexible timetable for leaving for Paraguay and I think I will be ok...as long as I keep it in my mind that anything can change at any time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment