Sunday, December 29, 2013

Where....

Paraguay!  This is where we are headed.  Have you heard a lot of fun facts about Paraguay?  Well, I hadn't, before I started to research this land-locked South American country; and that's a shame, because it has ALOT to offer.
The capital of Paraguay is Ascuncion; the kids and I will be living just outside of the second largest city in Paraguay, Caacupe.  The Iguazu Falls are located in Paraguy, along the border with Brazil and Argentine.  I have seen lots of pictures online of this amazing natural landform, it is truly beautiful. 
In Ascuncion there is a UNESCO World Heritage site; a Jesuit Mission.  The history of missions in Paraguay (and indeed most of the new world) is a sort of double edged sword.  The methods employed at times by past missionaries would be considered today, at the very least, unacceptable; at the worst, cruel.  Still, there can be no doubt that the missions of the Jesuits have influenced, for better or worse, the landscape, culture, and people of Paraguay.
The camp where we will be working (Camp Jack Norment) is interesting in itself.  Established 60 years ago, Camp Jack Norment has been a model for Outdoor Ministries, Ecology and Leadership Development.  Camps are hosted for youth, adults, and outside organizations (such as the Peace Corps).  There is an educational farm that is a part of the camp; as I understand it the camp is moving more and more toward self sustainability. 
We have also started a list of foods we want to try as soon as we are able in our new home; this includes Chipas, Supa Paraguay, Bori-Bori, and Terere to drink.  I am a bit of a foodie...sort of, I like to try new things, though I don't claim any special palette or talent or knowledge; just a love of food.  I have found it interesting, when talking with the kids, how easily one can compare the ingredients of our beloved southern cooking (here in the US) with what is found (at least in theory, it will be interesting to compare once we are on the ground) in Paraguay.  Of course, I do have a particular fondness for cornbread, so that could have something to do with my excitement.
So, natural beauty, cultural sites, a fabulous camp, and delicious food....is there anything more we could ask for?  I don't think so.  Ah, Paraguay, we are looking forward to finally meeting our new home in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment