Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Modern Missionary

I received some wonderful news recently.  In 4 week my family and I will be drinking terere in Paraguay.  I was so excited when I found out we were finally going, I was shaking.  Not only do we have a date, but there were some last minute changes to what, exactly, we would be doing while in Paraguay.  We will not be working with Campamento Jack Norment, as we originally planned.  Instead, we will be working and living in Asuncion with the Mision de Amistad (Friendship Mission) and Comite de Iglesias Para Ayuda de Emergencia (CIPAE) (commonly called, the Inter Church Committee). 
There has been some mixed reaction to the changes.  My family and friends were very comfortable with the idea of me rusticating I a camp, but living in the capital city isn't nearly as popular an idea.  However, I am not phased by the changes one bit.  There are several reasons why I am unconcerned. 

1) I am trying to do whatever God wants and go wherever He leads.  Already he has made this change more wonderful and amazing than I could ever have dreamed.  If he has taken my one tiny step and propelled us this far forward, I would have to be crazy to refuse to just keep on following him.

2) Going to Paraguay, even agreeing to be a Missionary, has never been about me.  Don't get me wrong, there are certainly benefits I hope to enjoy about the situation; but, the real reason I am going is to be of service to others.  There are some unfortunate legacies to overcome as a Missionary.  The wounds left on the collective psyche by imperialism are still struggling to heal.  For that reason I don't particularly care whether I am working at a camp, or in a mission in the city.  My job, as I see it, is to accompany the people of Paraguay, wherever and however they want me to. 

So, this is a time of joy and excitement, but also of responsibility and thoughtfulness.  I ask you to pray for my children and I, that we are able to follow where God leads and live Christ-like lives wherever we end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment